Are you on a look out to find best sewing machine for kids? Finding a hobby for your kids can be quite a challenge. You have to find something that can pique their interest as well as sustain it. This should also be educational and productive for your satisfaction. This hobby should be something recreational and fun yet could teach them valuable skills and lessons. One hobby that can fit these descriptions is sewing.
Sewing is both fun and constructive. It teaches patience and attention to detail as well developing creativity in your child. With the wide range of child friendly sewing machines available, finding a machine that they will love will be easy. Best sewing machine for kids have to be easy to learn and use but aesthetically great to look at. You also have to pick out sewing machines that are reliable and durable to withstand the sometimes rough handling of kids.
Sewing machine for kids don’t have to be the heavy duty machines meant for more advanced users. Rather these are the sewing machines built for beginners and novices meant for more basic projects and crafts. Out of the hundreds and thousands of sewing machines, we have reviewed five of the most child-friendly kids sewing machines that we recommend for your child.
5 Best Sewing Machine for Kids
Star Rating: 2.9
Dimensions: 5.3 x 8.7 x 9.9 inches
Weight: 2.9 pounds
This lightweight, portable sewing machine is perfect for your little tyke. While it is very suitable for young users, more mature users can also benefit from this machine. It is meant for lightweight sewing, repairs and hemming, and simple projects. It has two speeds and can be controlled by a hand switch or a foot pedal. This is prefect to keep your kid from getting bored with the same old routine. It also has efficient stitch control, double thread and an automatic thread rewind. Threading the machine is very easy which is bonus for sewing machine for kids as they have little patience for more intricate processes.
It also features two stitches to choose from: a straight stitch and a Z stitch. This will broaden the possible crafts and projects that can be created from this handy little machine. Since it is lightweight and compact, setting it up on any table surface will be easy. Likewise, storing it will also be just as handy. This little powerhouse is a must have for young kids.
- Easy to learn and use controls perfect for young users.
- It is not an expensive machine and fits well with your budget.
- It is lightweight and compact. Since it is not meant as a regular workstation, it is very convenient if it can easily be set up or stowed away.
- It is not meant for heavy and thick fabrics and could only be used for light sewing.
- Machine can get loud when sewing.
Star Rating: 3.4
Dimensions: 10.8 x 4.8 x 10.2 inches
Weight: 1 pound
This great entry level sewing machine is not only suitable for young users, it is also great for other beginners and novices looking to find a functional sewing machine without having to invest so much. It can be used for lightweight work such sewing sleeves, sewing hemlines and even making simple clothing. It has 8-built in stitches to choose from making it a very versatile little machine. It has all the necessary features for a great basic sewing machine like double thread, double speed and automatic thread rewind. It also has reverse sewing which is great for closing out stitches. It features a LED sewing light which is great when you don’t have a well-lighted place to work in. It is one of the lightest machines available on the market which is great for transporting. You can send your kid to formal sewing classes with this handy machine. Or you can set it up right beside your own workstation so you can have a mother-child bonding activity.
- The machine is easy to thread, a must have sewing machine for kids.
- It is small and light. It can easily be stored when not in use.
- It is a value for money machine, cheap but very useful.
- There is no adjustment for stitch lengths.
- It works well with cotton but not on heavier fabrics.
Star Rating: 4.4
Product Dimensions: 17 x 9 x 14 inches
Weight: 12 pound
Your little girl is sure to fall in love with this cute little powerhouse. It is a lovely hello kitty inspired sewing machine that can actually do heavy duty sewing. Although it looks dainty and something that is mostly used by kids, it can actually sew heavy and thick fabrics. This little machine features eleven built in stitches and a four step buttonhole. It gives you more versatility in making projects and clothing with the range of stitch patterns to choose from. Sewing buttonholes is also made easier with the 4-step buttonholer. It features a free arm for sewing cuffs and hems. This functional and pretty sewing machine is sure to please your child as well as you.
- It is a lightweight sewing machine considering the functions that it is capable of doing. Easy to transport, set up and store.
- It is user friendly and can be handled easily by younger users.
- Aesthetically appealing to kids with the hello kitty inspired design.
- While it is more capable of more advanced sewing work than other entry level sewing machines, it still lacks the capabilities to sew more complex and intricate projects.
- Only has one speed.
Star Rating: 4.4
Dimensions: 29 x 12 x 18 inches
One of the most functional sewing machines for beginners and novices, this pretty Hello Kitty sewing machine has a lot of great features in one tiny machine. It offers 22 stitch pattern and a one-step buttonholer. Imagine the endless projects that you can do with all the different stitches? It definitely offers more versatility than you expect from a sewing machine designed for kids. The one-step buttonholer also makes your sewing experience more convenient as it eliminates the time and effort in sewing buttons. A further addition for your convenient is the built in needle threader that can save you a lot of time and frustration. It also has a free arm for sewing tight spots like cuffs and hems. This pretty and adorable Hello Kitty sewing machine by Janome is not only built for recreational purposes. It is a durable, highly functional and convenient to use sewing machine. It can be enjoyed by both kids and adults looking to make sewing projects.
- Convenient and easy to use with all the wonderful features like needle threader and one step buttonhole.
- It has a reverse stitch great for closing stitches.
- A little bit on the higher price range for entry level sewing machines.
Star Rating: 4.1
Dimensions: 19 x 11 x 14 inches
This Hello Kitty designed sewing machine may look like some high quality toy but it is anything but that. It is a full scale sewing machine built for intricate sewing projects. It is good for beginners, novices, intermediate and even expert users. It boasts an astounding 50 built in stitches and 3 one step buttonholes. This gives you a lot of choices to choose from in making different sewing projects. Whether it is a simple project or a more intricate one, getting it done will not be a problem anymore with this great machine. It also features a needle threader, a free arm and a drop feed for your convenience.
- The LCD screen makes navigation and use of controls much easier.
- Computerized sewing machine allows memorized sewing functions that can be very convenient from picking off where you left.
- A little too expensive for a non-heavy duty sewing machine.
Now it’s Your Turn
So what are you waiting for? Choose a best sewing machine for kids that will suit you and your kid and start sewing away!