Are you on a look out to find best portable sewing machine reviews so that you could make your decision and buy one? Well, you have come to the right place. Did you ever want to take sewing classes to help improve your sewing skills? Don’t have a permanent workstation at home as you are constantly moving around to get the best possible lighting and work space? Is your place too small to fit a proper sewing machine and you have to use your dining table or office table to work on? Sounds like you need a portable sewing machine to help you out.
Traditionally, sewing machines are heavily built and meant to be stationary. However, with the growing competition and innovative designs, sewing machines have evolved rapidly from the traditional mechanical sewing machines. There are now a number of portable sewing machines meant for women on the go. You can take your sewing machine with you wherever you go and work away. These sewing machines though lightweight can function just as wells as their heavier counterparts. Some heavy duty sewing machines are even lightweight and can easily be transported around.
With the growing number of portable sewing machines being sold in various outlets and retailers, choosing a right sewing machine may be a challenge. So we have cherry picked five of the most popular portable sewing machines being sold and reviewed them for your comparison.
Best Portable Sewing Machine Reviews
Star Rating: 3.8
Dimensions: 14 x 11 x 11.5 inches
Weight: 13.5 pounds
This compact but powerful little machine is a pleasant surprise from one of the most trusted manufacturers of sewing machines, Singer. While it is compact and lightweight, it doesn’t just do the lightweight work. It can handle tougher and more complicated sewing works thanks to its wonderful features. This portable sewing machine has the capabilities of a profinish serger, as the name suggests, allowing easy hemming and finish with its built in four rolled hems and 2-3-4 thread capability. It offers a wide range of stitch capacity and adjustable stitch lengths that can help you do all sorts of sewing jobs on it. Sewing on this sewing machine is also super-fast as it allows 1,300 stitches per minute. It saves you a lot of time and allows you to do rush sewing jobs. Like most sergers, it has automatic fabric trimming for clean and fast hemming work. The best part about it is that it sports a carry handle for you to be able to carry it around wherever you go.
- Though lightweight and small, it produces good quality and nice seams.
- You can sew really fast and finish rush work in no time.
- It may be difficult to thread in spite of the color coded guide especially for beginners.
- The serger has a tendency to be loud when in use and could heat up.
Star Rating: 4.6
Dimensions: W344 x H255 x D159 mm
Weight: 5.6kg (11lb)
This portable sewing machine is an all in one masterpiece. It has a lot of great features for a portable sewing machine and it also is a serger at the same time. It has a built in side cutter allowing you to trim and sew at the same time. Hemming is definitely made easier with this sewing machine. It has a built in needle threader and thread cutter that saves you a lot of time and effort. These seem like mundane tasks but they can be tedious and time consuming. It also has 12 built in stitches for you to choose from and a 4 step buttonhole. It also comes with a convenient carrying handle for easy transportability. Now you can do your professional sewing work anywhere, anytime.
- Accurate and even stitching in spite of its portability.
- Easily switch from sewing to serging by pressing the presser foot.
- The machine only features a four step buttonhole as opposed to the more convenient on step buttonhole.
- The serger can have a tendency to cut seam allowance.
Star Rating: 4.3
Dimensions: 10.6 x 13.6 x 11.6 inches
One of the most powerful but sleek serger sewing machines available on the market, the Juki powerhouse is sure to delight its users. It is a 2/3/4 thread serger that allows dedicated cutting and stitching system for a professional finish. You can easily adjust stitch length and feed and it has a color coded threading for an easier threading experience. You can also move the upper knife away when threading for your safety. The machine also automatically locks when the side cover is open further ensuring your safety when threading.
- It is a very stable machine, a must have for sergers to ensure quality and accurate hemming.
- Lighter than most serger machines, it allows a greater versatility of use.
- It is more expensive than other portable sewing machines with serger capabilities.
- Instruction manual does not explore the full potential of the machine.
Star Rating: 5
Dimensions: 450(W) x230(H) x219(D) mm
Weight: 11.5kg (25.4 lbs.)
This high performing portable sewing machine is great for quilting and home projects that need the more intricate sewing work. Since it is lightweight and portable, you can easily work anywhere you want to and take extra classes to improve your sewing skills. It also has a larger work area than regular sewing machines allowing more complex and bigger projects. It features an automatic thread trimmer that makes closing your stitches fast and reliable. This portable sewing machine is not only good for households but it can also serve as an industrial sewing machine as it allows heavy duty tasks. It features industrial functions like the sub-tension system and adjustable speed control slider essential for more complicated and high volume sewing jobs. It is built for precise and accurate sewing.
- It is a value for money purchase. Although it is more expensive than household sewing machines, it is a great sewing machine capable of doing industrial sewing work.
- It has incredible speed and accuracy in stitching allowing you to work fast on intricate projects.
- It is a more efficient serger than sewing machine. Some sewing machine features are not included in this model.
Star Rating: 4.8
Dimensions: 11 x 12 x 10 inches:
Weight: 24 lbs (10.9 kg)
The Reliable 700SB works just like a heavy duty industrial sewing machine in spite of being a home sewing machine. Targeted to suit the needs of homemakers, it can do the functions of more heavy duty machines. This portable blind stitch sewing machine boasts a true skip stitch function, variable stitch penetration and thread tension as well as a speed foot controller. It allows you to sew through various kinds of fabric. You can sew light and sheer fabrics for daintier projects. You can also sew through thick and heavy fabrics with ease. This allows great versatility and usage of your sewing machine. All you need to do to sew different textures of fabric is change the needle size and adjust some settings, and you are good to go.
- The price is good for budget conscious users who need a high quality sewing machine that can do intermediate work.
- Allows industrial work while being portable and lightweight. You can bring your personalized sewing machine to work.
- Threading is more complicated than some sewing machines.
- Changing stitch length is more complicated as well since you have to remove a plate in order to access the dial.
Now it’s Your Turn
Portable sewing machines do not have to be simpler than heavier sewing machines. They can have the same features and even more functions in fact. So why weight yourself down with a bulky sewing machine? Get the best portable machine out there.