Looking for a hobby this summer and trying to choose best sewing machine for beginners? You can take up sewing. It is fun and very productive. It also teaches you a new set of skills. So why not try your hand at sewing? Teaching yourself to sew is not an impossible feat especially with sewing machines. Sewing is easy now with the different types of sewing machines. You have basic sewing machines best suited for novice hobbyists like you. There are also more high tech sewing machines available for the more complex sewing projects.
There are a number of sewing machines available on the market. These different kinds of sewing machines are suited for different target users from beginners to intermediate to experts. You need to find a sewing machine that is best for beginners. Usually this kind of sewing machine are the more basic and simple ones. They do not have all the confusing features that will be useless to someone who will not be able to use them. Also, sewing machine for beginners are also relatively easy to handle and are very user friendly.
There are a lot of good sewing machine for beginners available on the market. We have picked out five of the best models for beginners and highlighted some of their best features.
Top 5 Best Sewing Machine for Beginners
Star Rating: 4.4
Dimensions: 12.3 x 7.7 x 9.6 inches
Weight: 13 pounds
The Brother XL2600I is a compact affordable sewing machine great for beginners. It is also lightweight and can easily be moved around. This is great when you want to take sewing lessons to help you improve your sewing skills. The Brother XL2600I has 25 built-in stitches for you to choose from. You can create a lot of craft projects with the wide selection of stitches available. The stitches include heirloom, quilting and decorative stitches perfect for hobbyists and craft enthusiasts. Switching from stitch to stitch is also easy with the stitch selector dial. The Brother XL2600I also features a free arm perfect for sewing hems. The free arm has an accessory storage where you can stash the presser foot, instruction manual and other accessories when you stow away your machine. It has a needle threader, a thread cutter, an auto bobbin winder and an automatic buttonholer. These features simplify the most time consuming tasks for you.
- The price makes it one of the best value for money sewing machines in the market.
- The built-in stitches offer a lot of range for projects and crafts that you can do.
- It’s compact, lightweight design makes it easy for you to move it around, making it one of the most portable sewing machines.
- The automatic bobbin winding and threading saves on time and is easy to use.
- The machine can’t handle heavy and thick fabrics. It is not made for heavy duty use.
- The thread pin accommodates small spools only and not the larger spools intended for more heavy usage.
Star Rating: 4.2
Dimensions: 15 x 6 x 11.8 inches
Weight: 16 pounds
Perfect for beginners and novices, this easy to use machine has all the right features for everyday sewing. This amazing sewing machine for beginners has 10 built in stitches for you to choose from including decorative stitches and quilting stitches. It is easy to change your preferred stitch by turning a dial for stitch selector. It even has an automatic buttonholer for your convenience. It also has a free arm for sewing hems and cuffs. The built in arm also transforms into a storage for the accessories of the sewing machine making storage as easy as possible. It has easy to use bobbin winding and threading. These tasks are two of the most time consuming and patience testing tasks in sewing.
- One of the most affordable sewing machines on the market. You don’t have to spend so much on a machine that you won’t necessarily use on a day to day basis.
- Easy to use functions like the automatic buttonholer, bobbin winding and reverse stitch makes your sewing experience easy and convenient.
- Lightweight and portable, storing it is easy when not in use.
- Plastic bobbins provided are difficult to use as compared to metal ones.
Star Rating: 3.9
Dimensions: 15.5 x 6.2 x 12 inches
Weight: 14.5 pounds
One of the most classic sewing machine brands there is on the market, Singer has been consistently making quality sewing machines for the public. The Singer 4423 boasts an extra high sewing speed of 1,100 stitches per minute. It enables you to work really fast and accurately as well. The Singer 4423 has 23 built in stitches for you to choose from. It has six essential stitches best for repairs and construction, four stretch stitches for specialty fabrics and twelve decorative stitches for your more creative projects. With the available number of built in stitches available and the high speed stitching capability of the Singer 4423, you can just about do anything on your machine. The automatic needle threader and bobbin winding allows more convenient and easier use.
- Easily transportable and portable with its built-in carry handle. You can mount it anywhere you want to and then just store it away when not in use.
- Price is very competitive compared to other heavy-duty models.
- Wide selection of stitches and easy features for the user’s convenience.
- Complicated threading of machine. It takes a while to get used to.
- You have to hold the thread during the first few stitches to avoid unraveling of the thread.
Star Rating: 4.6
Dimensions: 17 x 9 x 13.5 inches
Weight: 15.6 pounds
The Janome 2212 features 12 built in stitches allowing you versatility in your sewing projects and crafts. It also includes a four-step buttonhole further expanding the versatility of your machine. Adjustment of stitches is also very easy with the easy turn dial. It also has a built in free arm for sewing hems and cuffs. It is also good for heavy duty use as it can stitch through thick and heavy fabrics easily.
- Affordable price for a compact sewing machine with a lot of amazing features.
- It can do heavy duty sewing projects. It can sew thick fabrics easily while maintaining stitching precision and accuracy.
- Not meant for more intricate sewing projects
Star Rating: 3.4
Dimensions: 10.8 x 4.8 x 10.2 inches
Weight: 1 pound
This little sewing machine is great for beginners, even the really young ones. You can buy this for your little tykes to create simple sewing projects. It is one of the lightest sewing machines on the market and you can install it easily on any table surface. Just as easily, you can store it when it is not in use. The Michley Lil’ Sew & Sew has 8 built-in stitch patterns useful for simple projects for beginners. You don’t need a lot of intricate stitches when you are just starting out. All you need are the basics to be able to carry out your projects.
- Very budget friendly. It comes at a very cheap price for the functionality that it offers.
- It is handy and can easily be transported or stored. It is lightweight and compact making it easy to carry around.
- Not meant for heavy duty sewing
Now it’s Your Turn
So have you decided on a best sewing machine for beginners to start with? Remember, your sewing machine must fit your needs and not the other way around. Also try to weigh functionality versus the price. Once you have all that settled, pick out the best sewing machine for you and start sewing away!